Words mean stuff
- Professionals have their own language aimed at communicating with others in their specialized sphere. It takes time and discipline to learn this vocabulary.
- If you are having difficulty understanding certain conversation due to vocabulary or parlance; listen and learn. Ask questions. Don't get defensive because learning is hard. This is a professional development opportunity.
- Overly jargon-laden instruction with no explanation or attempt to break it down to ‘layman’s terms’* is not conducive to learning either. A professional with training in instructional techniques will NOT do this. Some people forget their audience. Some people can’t teach.
- Keep reading professional journals as well. They are key both knowledge and vocabulary development.
- Big words aren’t scary. They communicate succinctly in the proper context. Communication is key for success in most things.